Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Weight Lose Wednesday : A Diet vs A Lifestyle Change

With the end of my diet getting near I have been mentioning my excitement to my friends. Some people have mention to me that "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change."

What I would like to do is clarify the difference between "A Diet" and "A Lifestyle Change".

Diets are meant to be a change in your current eating habits to achieve a weight lose.

Example: To maintain my body weight without gaining anything, I could not eat more than ~2080 calories a day. Before my diet I was consuming probably over 3000 calories a day (hence the weight gain). My diet allowed me to eat ~1000 a day. With this diet my caloric intake dropped to the point that I was consuming less calories than I was using... bye bye fat :)

Eating ~1000 calories/day = My Diet

If I was to go back to my old ways (~3000 calories/day), I would just gain all my weight back. To make sure that doesn't happen I need to implement a lifestyle change once my diet is done. This change will mean that I will have to continue and watch what I eat and make sure I don't go over my daily caloric allowance.

Eating ~2080 calories/day = My Lifestyle Change

So you can see it like this:

Original Eating Habit > Diet (to lose) > Lifestyle Change (to maintain)

I want people to see the difference because going through a diet isn't fun or easy. If you allow yourself to think that a diet is meant to last forever, you may just not want to continue. The diet will end.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel... Even though it has been rough for me for three months eating ~1000 calories/day... once the diet is over I will be able to double my intake! Who knows... if I decide to add exercise to my daily routine, I will be able to increase my caloric intake even more!!

So if you are going through a diet or are planning to... remember... a diet is temporary... get through it and then enjoy a healthy lifestyle change :)

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment